Supper Club...

I'm waiting to hear whether I am on the steering committee of London 2012 as I thought that was a good idea too.

I'm not sure how but I ended up as part of the steering committee for a new initiative called 'The Supper Club'. Be careful what you say sounds a good idea as the next thing you will be a signed up steering committee person! I'm waiting to hear whether I am on the steering committee of London 2012 as I thought that was a good idea too.

We had the first installment last night. The idea is that someone shares what they are thinking through and dialogue follows. Last night was a reworking of a membership paper given at the theological symposium and all the old chestnuts came out as to what should shape us as a church.

I'm happy for symbolism to remain what it is ... symbolism - but I am really intrigued how century's of Christendom have taken this symbolism and made it religious and something that should shape church beyond of that Christcentric mission.

I've taken a lot of stick in my pseudo co-hosting, organising and steering role - because it has been perceived as a elite male dominated cohort - but this is really for all who are working through theology, or who want a good meaningful chat. There is a blog here - although there are problems with it at the moment. So if you fancy coming the dates and speakers are listed there. You just need to let Adam Knuckey (adam.knuckey@salvationarmy.org.uk) or Russ Rook (russell.rook@salvationarmy.org.uk). The papers apparently will be posted at therubicon

Comments

Johnny said…
missed it this time, but hoping to make the next one
Stephen said…
Good to see you finally pressed the upgrade button on blogger. I upgraded mine but have had problems accessing it on my other computer.

Also good to see the blog blurb reflecting your new (well maybe not so new now) role.

I don't suppose the topic of uniform came up at supper club - or maybe it did if you were recycling the movement/church/order debate? On the days you are tempted to believe that you spend too much time on peace-time issues take some comfort from the fact that all the other things you list in your "take a guess" post get talked about too. We may not always be able to set agendas but we can shape them.

Keep swimming.
Gordon said…
Thanks Stephen - I guess there are some issues that will always be debated ad nauseam. The uniform one is up there - both sides of the debate seem to me to concentrate on the 'what' instead of the 'why's' and 'when's' which I find tiring.

You should try and get along to the next supper club - I think you'd find it stimulating. (19 Feb I think)

Popular posts from this blog

A bit of sally bashing....

Types of Christian Spirituality...

Lost Voices of Mission...Fred Brown