Patrick's Palm Sunday...

Our last Palm Sunday at Poplar. Without a doubt a day that has always been memorable - here and here (the comments on the latter post make me smile).

Years gone by have seen the 100 or so Palm Sunday marchers take a wrong turn and end up in the London Marathon - playing 'Give me oil in my lamp' on a cornet while comedy rhinoceros run past - definitely unforgettable.

Another year saw me embarrass myself by shouting 'make way' at the top of my voice by myself in reply to an openair leader who I thought was trying to start Graham Kendrick's 'Make Way'. The looks of bewilderment and suppressed giggles were enough for me to realise that I had misheard - apparently he had only said 'ok...!!'

Today was great in no way an anti-climax.

Firstly George the donkey was back, frisky as ever, refusing to turn right and prolonging the march! Secondly the Anglicans misplaced him - but what made today truly great was Patrick. Armed with a Palm cross he proceeded to hit people gently on the head with it - I kind of think he was blessing people. What made sure that Palm Sunday was again unforgettable was that Patrick sneaked behind Poplar's new very traditional and austere, cloak wearing 70 something Roman Catholic Priest and when he wasn't looking made sure he didn't miss out on the blessing. It looked like a comedy advert for Tango. Father Connolly was Patricked and it was brilliant.

I'll miss Palm Sunday at Poplar!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit of sally bashing....

Types of Christian Spirituality...

Lost Voices of Mission...Fred Brown