a deeper shade of grey...

I have grown tired of being provoked by narrowness of thought that lacks context beyond that of favoured, well tested quotes and proof texts

The Rubicon team have asked me to blog weekly for a new feature. Here are my opening lines...
I’ve just opened my email box to a ‘blanket’ barrage of Booth and Railton proof quotes, underpinning a message of ‘encouragement’ to do more. Links to sites to encourage me to ‘really’ understand the Great Commission, to truly know what it is to evangelise, telling me how inept I have been, how misguided, how I have compromised the gospel and my calling. Although bereft of context, to try and gain what the author intended, I’ve given the opinion respect and read the email. I feel great having started the day dosed up with some good ol’ ‘black and white’ uncompromising judgement and opinion.

The Rubicon team has asked me to contribute to– the Rubi-blog, ‘we want something pithy, provocative, and controversial’; ironically I’ve said yes. Ironic because I have grown tired of opinion, proof texts, proof quotes the life blood of many blogs. Ironic because I have grown tired of being provoked by narrowness of thought that lacks context beyond that of favoured, well tested quotes and proof texts. I’m tired of people coming into my office, lounge, garden or where-ever my wi-fi enables me and shouting opinion at me. My RSS feeder is clogged with words and opinion waiting to provoke me, while I watch a world largely unprovoked by a church busy making something of the Kingdom that is predictable and bland, wrapping the gospel up in small print and hidden agendas. I’m tired of people provoking the wrong people.

The biggest irony? I’m as guilty as anyone!

Saturday, November 29, 2003 I wrote my first post over at URBANarmy – I wrote “My mulling, musing and pondering probably - no certainly - will be of no consequence to anyone but it will be of every consequence to me!” I hold to that in my first rubi-blog post, welcome to my journey as I mull, ponder and muse! Join me, should you wish, on my journey to an uncompromising ‘deeper shade of grey’, where there are more questions than answers, as I try and make sense of challenge of the Kingdom and faith development within the context of the woven beauty of holiness and of mission.

If you are more comfortable with ‘black and white’ rhetoric, you might want to give me a miss!

Comments

Cosmo said…
Have you thought about cancelling some of your feeds?
Gordon said…
good point :o)- the sucker I am though I am always intrigued. Then I guess I shouldn't moan!!
Grey does seem to be a better place than black or white...somehow more of God than man. It's funny how we get accused of watering down the gospel when perhaps 'black and white', reductionism, 'gospel truths' would seem to make God much smaller, much less...mysterious? But then maybe I'm being a bit black and white now...!
Stephen said…
I think if you inhabit the blogosphere there is a sense in which you are fair game because you know this kind of stuff is out there. Irritating it may be, but all you can do is hold fast to the shades of grey where most of journey if we stop to think about it. What really irritates me is the unsolicited posters that regularly seem to come across my desk because someone thinks our church should be supporting the latest evangelical guilt-fest. Just this week I have cleansed our notice board of material that people who come here looking for help are confronted with when they enter the building. We talk about signposts to the Kingdom but when all we can do is make people already struggling with life feel even more inadequate our signposts start pointing the other way.

I look forward to reading blog-icon and will sign off now before I get opinionated!

Popular posts from this blog

A bit of sally bashing....

Types of Christian Spirituality...

Lost Voices of Mission...Fred Brown