Bono on Christianity...

"I never really had any problems with Jesus Christ, but Christians were a bit of a problem for me...Bono"

This is probably old hat by now. I borrowed a DVD recording of Bill Hybels interviewing Bono last year for a Willow Creek leadership summit. (pictures here) There were some great quotes coupled with some great music video. I tried to write my favourites down - probably not verbatim but close enough to get the gist.

"I never really had any problems with Jesus Christ, but Christian's were a bit of a problem for me..."

"The story of grace is really the story of Jesus Christ turning the view of the universe on its head ... it is counter intuitive ... it is hard for humans to grasp ... it is easier for us to grasp atonement, revenge, fairness but we don't grasp grace ... I need grace"

"I grew up suspicious of Christianity but I was determined to learn more about the life of Jesus..."

"My favourite line in the Lords prayer is 'thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven' our purpose is to bring heaven to earth... the word doesn't need to be the way it is...."
It seems that Bono has a renewed heart for the local church and what it can do -I wonder what he would make of the little inner city church trying to make a difference rather than the huge mega-church?

Seems also that Willow Creek have copyrighted the interview - so it is hard to find the material on the Internet - like one commenter said on one blog - "Good job Jesus didn't copyright his words!!"

If you get a chance it is well worth having a view of this interview.

Bono if you are there .... I would be happy to interview you as part of our mission studies at The Salvation Army Training College!!

Bill if you are there .... let people see this on the Internet!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit of sally bashing....

Types of Christian Spirituality...

Lost Voices of Mission...Fred Brown