so tell me how singing worship works...

Dear worshipper, you who stand beside me, arms thrust into the air,

Please help me. I am lost.

You see, I love live music. But I don't get singing. I listen to lots of music, most of the time I work. But very rarely do I stop my work and do nothing but sing.

I love Salmonella Dab. I love U2. When I go to their concerts, I do sing. But that is a by-product of entering into an experience. And they are good. And no matter how good they are, I could not imagine singing their songs, the same songs, week after week.

So I stand beside you, quite mystified. I feel strange, doing corporate, sung worship in church. Why do church's sing?

Steve at e~mergent kiwi asks the question - read more of the post (so tell me how singing worship works).

Comments

Anonymous said…
As someone who leads worship reasonably regularly I often ask myself the same question. The argument often used is that of football matches where singing together seems to have some sort of effect.

Now I don't do football matches, and corporate singing in other contexts leaves me cold and embarrassed. So why do we do it in church.

Perhaps it's just our culture? In many other cultures, singing together in all sorts of contexts is seen to be perfectly normal, and encouraged. So it was with UK culture until not so long ago. The culture has changed, and church culture hasn't. But should it?htt
Gordon said…
Hi Mark! long time no see!
Rob said…
interestingly I have been struggling with this very question.
I do not enjoy singing (rarely have) and find myself standing silently in church wondering what is going on - or what is wrong with me as so many other people seem to 'get it'.

Popular posts from this blog

A bit of sally bashing....

Types of Christian Spirituality...

Lost Voices of Mission...Fred Brown