Roadside Pulpits...

I've a growing fascination with the message churches portray with their posters or 'roadside pulpits'. You know the phrases we throw like incendiary devices into our communities in order to cajole, entice people.
We are ordinary people trying to change the world.
Join us.

There is one church on the way to Thornton Heath in London that has a black 15 foot board outside their church declaring about the 'wages of sin etc...'. I should try and get a shot of it the next time I pass. I sometimes try and imagine the inevitable church council meeting that came up with the decision of what to put on the board .... "this'll get 'em". I'm probably being really unfair and have really misjudged the church, the sad thing so have- I would suggest - the 100's even 1000's of people that pass that church probably every hour.

Perhaps the eden project are on to something.

Comments

Isaiah43 said…
@ Ashford Salvation Army we publicize that we are an imperfect church run by ordinary people, trying to save the world! Haven't had any feed back whether it works or not!
Heather's place said…
In Liverpool there is a huge sign on a large gloomly looking Church that reads...

"WHAT THINK YE OF CHRIST?"

I can only imgine the sort of responses that generates.

But I suspect in many cases it generates no response as the sign has been unchanged as long as I can remember.
Anonymous said…
There's a good one on a church near me that reads:

"Shock your mum...Go to church"

I like it!
fee said…
these signs have fascinated me for a long time too. most of them with the thought - what are these people thinking?
i love the eden project sign. that's great!

Popular posts from this blog

A bit of sally bashing....

Types of Christian Spirituality...

Lost Voices of Mission...Fred Brown