The desire for enlightenment..

His disappointment was almost palpable as I said "Look I'm not trying to evangelise you but ... I found it in the life and purpose of Jesus and in the hope that is mine through that life..."

As I waited for the bus to make my journey to Faith House I thought of Dan. I hoped he would be there. I met Dan for the first time at Faith House last week and had quite a conversation.

It started when Dan asked me if I was a Christian and then proceeded to tell me that he had never met a Christian who was enlightened. I have to admit that the next hour and a half was heavy stuff! He explains his concept of entering the 'gap'; of techniques, methods of meditation; his desire to achieve this enlightenment. "Dan if you are talking about fulfillment, peace, purpose I've found it..."

Dan's eyes widen in excitement - "what's your technique..."

His disappointment was almost palpable as I said "Look I'm not trying to evangelise you but ... I found it in the life and purpose of Jesus and in the hope that is mine through that life and discovering my own purpose..."

"Of course the trouble is that I can't accept that Jesus was God..." we talked as Dan unpacked his thoughts for me which concluded with Dan suggesting that Jesus was neither human. Out come my two friends Josephus and Tacitus, seemingly unimpressed Dan continues."don't get me wrong of course I accept the historical evidence of the existence of Jesus..."

"You've just said you could accept either Jesus as Human or God, Dan I'm confused..."

"Confused ... You just said you've found enlightenment...!"

The rest of the evening pans out with our conversation settling on 'Grace' Versus 'Technique'

Dan wasn't at Faith house this week - who knows about next week.

Comments

Anonymous said…
this is why we all need to study at college or wherever we may be, because our beliefs will be challenged and we need to know where we stand! Thanks Gordon - the right man for the right time!

Popular posts from this blog

A bit of sally bashing....

Types of Christian Spirituality...

Lost Voices of Mission...Fred Brown