How the mighty has fallen….

For all his big claims, big threats and big fighting talk Mike Tyson looks pretty much punched out to me. Punching the air, not connecting seems to have worn him out, exhausted, shattered - down.

A bit of blog reading has left me wondering if we too as a church are punched out. Sure we are great at the hardcore fighting talk. The big claims, the big threats, the combat rhetoric - but I sometimes wonder if we are flaying, lashing out into thin air - hitting nothing but ourselves. Not connecting is pretty tiring.

Insinuations have been thrown that we - in our context - are not up for it!!? Fingers have pointed saying that we shy away from the battle! Militant noses look haughtily down on us and our misguided efforts.

Well here's the fight:-

“While women weep as they do now, I’ll fight; while little children go hungry as they do now, I’ll fight; while men go to prison, in and out, in and out, as they do now, I’ll fight; while there is a drunkard left, while there is a poor lost girl on the streets, while there remains one dark soul without the light of God, I’ll fight – I’ll fight to the very end.”

William Booth May 9th 1912

One place you wont find us is hiding behind pseudo military rhetoric - mission for us is an undiluted fight. It's a reality. A fight for true justice; A fight for true hope; A fight for true liberation; A fight for true salvation.

I don't want to be sat on the canvas. I don't want to be punched out. I want to be connecting. I want to be in there making a difference for the kingdom.

Do I need to defend this? Do you know what? I don't really think I do!

Yours nevertheless defensively... ;o)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit of sally bashing....

Types of Christian Spirituality...

Lost Voices of Mission...Fred Brown