Hannah my Angel...?

I am completely trapped, Hannah has me well and truly pinned. For the next three minutes while the band play a benediction I feel her sobs, I feel her tears on my cheek..

Hannah's small hand shook mine. She was pleased to see me and oozed full hearted love. Hannah is a member at Maidstone Salvation Army and she is welcoming me to the service. Hannah in her thirties has Downs Syndrome.

The service has been great, creative and meaningful and people have responded positively to the challenge to think through what it is to 'come to Jesus', what it is to allow God to minister to us, to identify 'our angels' Matthew 4:11.

As the time of reflection comes to a close we sing 'I surrender all' and I start thinking through the ongoing coincidence of the words we are singing with the words I read in today in two reflections independent to each other, one by Henri Nouwen the other Thomas Merton about the fist. We sing through the verses and I think through concepts of attachment and detachment that Merton speaks of in describing the 'art of gaining ground through dying a little'. The song comes to a close and a small hand on my shoulder gets me to turn around. It is Hannah, she is crying, she stands and hugs me while I sit. I'm not big on hugging but it seems that Hannah is!

OK - I am feeling embarrassed - I can't even turn my head to see who is looking in on our cameo. I am completely trapped, Hannah has me well and truly pinned. For the next three minutes while the band play a benediction I feel her sobs, I feel her tears on my cheek. For the next three minutes I work through my discomfort and realise that for reasons I have yet to process Hannah is ministering to me. For the next three minutes I slowly recognise that this is a deeply spiritual moment for me, I identify that Hannah is my angel. I gained ground today and in those three minutes something died!

In those three minutes anything within me anything like a fist became an open hand of surrender.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Your story touched my heart... I was reminded of the scripture Psalm 91:11 which states

"For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways."

Often times, we envision the angels we cannot see; very rarely do we think of those who God has placed on earth to minister to us.

God Bless you for sharing.
Isaiah43 said…
Something which has brought me to tears many times is the honesty of people who minister through their blogs. To be so honest about yourself to complete strangers is a beautiful and strong thing! Thankyou
Evie said…
Wow! Thanks for sharing an intimate moment with your friend Hannah, but most importantly in your relationship with the Lord. Oh that I would be sensitive to know when the Lord sends people as angels to minister to me. Hope you won't mind if I share this with our cadets in prayers tomorrow. Blessings!
Gigi said…
HE is such a mystery......

Popular posts from this blog

A bit of sally bashing....

Types of Christian Spirituality...

Lost Voices of Mission...Fred Brown