My bad memory...

what issues today will our descendants look back at in 200 years and think 'why did they let that happen?'

I can't remember which one I went to, but twenty years ago I visited one of the coastal slave castles in Ghana. I can't remember the name of the castle but I remember that behind the white washed walls was a history that shocked me.

I looked into the dark dungeons, manacles still attached to the walls, I walked into the rooms and smelled the dampness, almost feeling consumed by the aura desperateness. I looked down the tunnel beneath the castle that led to the beach and where the waiting ships would wait to disperse their human cargo without daylight being seen.

I can't remember quite where on the Cape coast I had been taken to see this point of history among the beauty of the palms, ocean and sand but I can remember being shocked and ashamed.

A bad memory is not an excuse I am comfortable with - but it does make me think as to what issues today will our descendants look back at in 200 years and think 'why did they let that happen?'

Comments

Anonymous said…
My fervent prayer is that it is the sheer unjust divide between the wealthy and the poor, across both national lines and international!

(to name but one of many!!!!)

Popular posts from this blog

A bit of sally bashing....

Types of Christian Spirituality...

Lost Voices of Mission...Fred Brown