Miller, D (2003) Blue like Jazz - Nonreligious Thoughts on Christian Spirituality ... 3/4

Miller on Institution...
the starting point perhaps is the discovery of God's agenda for his creation as expressed through Jesus' life, death and resurrection, rather than the church's agenda as formed within Christendom.

IT SHOULD BE SAID I AM AN INDEPENDENT PERSON. I don't like institutionalized anything. I don't like corporations. I am not saying institutions and corporations are wrong, or bad I am only saying I don't like them. Some people don't like classical music, some people don't like pizza, I don't like institutions. My dislike might stem from a number of things, from the nonpersonal feel I get when I walk into a corporate office or the voicemail system I encounter when I call my bank. It might be the nonengaged look on every fast-food worker's face or the phone calls I receive in the 'middle of dinner asking me what longdistance carrier I use. Those people never want to just talk; they always have an agenda. pp129

Miller, D (2003) Blue like Jazz - Nonreligious Thoughts on Christian Spirituality

Not much else to add to an insight of contemporary society on the phenomenon of institution. However well meaning and noble the church's agenda - it still is very much that ... an agenda. To communicate the rule of God, His kingdom beyond that of an agenda is a challenge - the starting point perhaps is the discovery of God's agenda for his creation as expressed through Jesus' life, death and resurrection, rather than the church's agenda as formed within Christendom.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Decided to pick this book up and have found it to be a great read and from time to time been challenged to rethink a few things.
Wayne
Gordon said…
Glad you are enjoying it Wayne

Popular posts from this blog

A bit of sally bashing....

Types of Christian Spirituality...

Lost Voices of Mission...Fred Brown