There will be blood....

Kate and I went to see There will be Blood last night - hmmm?

Go and see this film with the realisation that it is about the brokenness that comes with greed and selfishness coupled with competitiveness hatred and anger; a couple of great monologues by Daniel Day-Lewis which are worth seeing again in this context. It is the outworking of this in oil man Daniel Plainview that is the focus of the narrative throughout - I made the mistake of expecting more; and came away feeling I'd missed the point.

Daniel Day-Lewis was staggering I thought in this - who became more menacing and lacking in humanity as his wealth grew; however personally it felt all a little slow and predictable for me.

There is an interesting caricature of the inauthenticity of Church, particularly when Daniel Plainview gets saved in order to secure the land he needs. The Eli Sunday character as the minister of the local church shows himself to be as greedy and competitive as Daniel Plainview albeit with a different currency!

I came out of the cinema not convinced - but this morning feel I would probably buy it on DVD when it drops to about £5 in the 'oh no we bought too many of these' bins in Sainsbury's.

HollywoodJesus account here

Comments

Chris H said…
I was completely confused when I went to see this - I, like you, kept expecting more and wondered where the story was actually going.

Oddly, I found myself thinking "this is boring" and "this is interesting" at exactly the same time.
Gordon said…
"this is boring" and "this is interesting" - that hits it on the head!!

Popular posts from this blog

A bit of sally bashing....

Types of Christian Spirituality...

Lost Voices of Mission...Fred Brown