11 across...

The advantage of Salvation Army uniform is that it draws questions. Kate and I rushed out at lunch time to Sainsbury's to get some food for the house. I went for the bread and was aware of the Sainsbury member of staff bearing down on me.

As our trolleys pass in the bread aisle he fires a broadside! "Salvation Army?"

"Yes!"

"Do you mind if I ask you a question?"

I pump myself up. He's an older guy - perhaps wanting to find out more about how faith can impact his life; perhaps searching for something that has been missing in his life; perhaps some deep regret eating away at his sense of peace. I - resplendent in my uniform - am in the right place and the right time for him.

"Sure" I look expectantly.

"Who is the General of The Salvation Army?"

Not the question I was expecting - nevertheless I am able to give him the answer to 11 across in the crossword puzzle he was doing.

He goes away happy! Whistling.

Comments

Anonymous said…
see you later this evening

Popular posts from this blog

A bit of sally bashing....

Types of Christian Spirituality...

Lost Voices of Mission...Fred Brown