Archie...multi-dimensional mission

I’m finding mission to be a multi-dimensional phenomena. It is not just about giver and receiver it is also about observer. I’m not sure if that makes sense, but it does to me and it is a reminder that mission is multi-dimensional.

You probably need to know Archie

my one wish

Things have got messy for Archie again. He won custody of his daughter only now to be facing another custody battle with the maternal grandparents.

We went to see him today to offer support; to hear his pain; to share his anxiety in the days ahead another court hearing. As we arrived what I thought was going to be a private affair went a little public. Two unknown neighbours arrive - Barry and Ahmed. We together hear once again the story of manipulation, the story of anguish and the story of fragmentation that is this family; the story that in a moment of weakness could allow alcohol to get a grip of his life again.

As I listened I wonder how appropriate it would be to pray with Archie in front of these two unknown friends. Coming to the conclusion that Archie’s needs were greatest I turned to his friends "I hope you guys don’t mind but I think that it is important that we pray for Archie"

We pray. We finish our tea. We say our goodbyes. We leave but Barry gets my attention – "when you come again can you come and see me? I think I need to talk to you."

"Barry of course I’ll be round soon…I promise"

Mission is not just about giver and receiver it is also about observer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit of sally bashing....

Types of Christian Spirituality...

Lost Voices of Mission...Fred Brown