Do Justice...

Reflecting on Jacques Ellul's irony of the crushed poor by the egalitarian west Charles Ringma calls us to practice the transformational message of the gospel.

"Do justice - it is closer to the heart of God than our practice of worship..." (Ringma)

And here's me thinking tweaking our worship; getting all seeker sensitive; going purpose driven; singing the latest songs; getting better AV equipment; perhaps going dot. abbreviation; getting a brand; chasing relevance; giving trendy names to programmes of evangelism that have no context of authenticity; was the answer.

...and all the time it was there in the life of Jesus. Do Justice, freedom, hope, grace, love, mercy...!

How far in the chase for relevance have we robbed mission of it's true meaning...?

"I can't stand your religious meetings. I'm fed up with your conferences and conventions. I want nothing to do with your religion projects,your pretentious slogans and goals. I'm sick of your fund-raising schemes,your public relations and image making. I've had all I can take of your noisy ego-music.When was the last time you sang to me? Do you know what I want? I want justice -- oceans of it. I want fairness -- rivers of it. That's what I want. That's all I want."

Amos 5:21-24

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit of sally bashing....

Types of Christian Spirituality...

Lost Voices of Mission...Fred Brown