Our view of God...

We found our new dentist in Camberwell and we all have had our check ups. I was worried that Kate may have booked us into a private clinic. The laminate flooring and trendy warehouse type brick affect reception was worlds away from what I was used to - I searched for threadbare carpets and 5 year old readers digests in vain.

Minutes later I walked into the consulting room and was struck by the most fabulous and elaborate hand painted mobile - calming not distressed babies in a cot but distressed dental patients. I smiled at the idea as I was given some sunglasses and asked to open my mouth. Feeling a little distressed I decided to make use of the mobile fish above my head. But the underside of the mobile was shapeless and colourless. Babies unite with distressed dental patients, shout at the injustice!

I've been reading a little of Von Hügel's concept of faith development. He looks at three stages that relate to Infancy - where we absorb information, Adolescence - where we make sense of what we know in our context through questioning and then Adulthood - where we have a growing awareness of an inner consciousness relating to God who is incommunicable and mysterious.

The mobile made me think how easy it is to remain protected and secure in the development of faith, content with a partial view and understanding of God. Gerald Hughes in 'God of Surprises' talks about a passive acceptance of God that remains partial and entrenched within a 'fear of disloyalty' in what he calls religious infantilism.

Sit and I wonder what religious infantilism looks like in TSA?

Comments

darrin said…
I wonder what religious infantilism looks like in TSA?

Gordon

Will have to give this some serious thought but my initial reaction is that its got something to do with timbrel displays
You haven't seen the African praise at Manchester Central - truly wild! :0)

But if you look at infant stage as embedded, then the stages are not clear cut, as the embedded spirituality may remain there as a foundation one keeps returning to throughout life, even though one's 'repertoire' of experience and explorations increases.

Talk more about the infantile stage - can you describe it?
Warmest blessings,
Eleanor n/TSSF

Popular posts from this blog

A bit of sally bashing....

Types of Christian Spirituality...

Lost Voices of Mission...Fred Brown