Job or Ministry...?

If our concern is success, it's a JOB. If our concern is faithfulness, it's a MINISTRY.

Someone sent me this right at the beginining of our Salvation Army officership - it has been useful to return to from time to time. Doing some prep for something I am doing tomorrow I thought I may as well cut and paste it into URBANarmy.

THOUGHT - Are you in a MINISTRY for God or are you just doing a JOB ?

Some people have a JOB in the church; others involve themselves in a MINISTRY. What's the difference?

If you are doing it just because no one else will, it's a JOB. If you are doing it to serve the Lord, it's a MINISTRY.

If you quit because somebody criticised you, it was a JOB. If you keep on serving, it's a MINISTRY.

If you'll do it only as long as it does not interfere with your other activities, it's a JOB. If you are committed to staying with it even when it means letting go of other things, it's a MINISTRY.

If you quit because no one praised you or thanked you, it was a JOB. If you stay with it even though nobody recognises your efforts, it is a MINISTRY.
It's hard to get excited about a JOB. It's almost impossible not to be excited about a MINISTRY.

If our concern is success, it's a JOB. If our concern is faithfulness, it's a MINISTRY.
An average church is filled with people doing JOBs. A great and growing church is filled with people involved in MINISTRY.

What about us?

If God calls you to a MINISTRY, don't treat it like a JOB.

If you have a JOB, give it up and find a MINISTRY. God does not want us feeling stuck with a JOB, but excited and faithful to Him in a MINISTRY.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thanks Gordon really needed that after a rather criticised day yesterday! Felt like jacking it all in but with a very wise husband reminding me it's ministry and now you, feel like God is saying the same
Rob said…
Gordon
That is so excellent and so true.
I'm going to copy and paste that into a word document ot look at regularly to remind myself again why I am where I am.

Cheers my friend.
Roy said…
followed Rob's link to you...really appreciated this post. Something I needed to be reminded of today.
Anonymous said…
I can see why it appeals Gordon - but it made me go mmm.

Mmm - I don't think that lets the church off the hook of trying to ensure it's ministers have 'good work' that combines dignity and worth with a livelihood. I don't think it lets ministers off the hook of ensuring their ministry is well-supported and that they are regularly listened too - not just when times are tough.
Gordon said…
Hi Helen,

I'm not entirely sure this is just about church leadership ministry - but I understand your sentiments particularly within the framework of paternalism that you spoke of at Supper Club.

However I am still processing your thoughts and match your 'mmm'.

How do you guard against the career path danger that would result or would such driven ambition at least be in the open?

Popular posts from this blog

A bit of sally bashing....

Types of Christian Spirituality...

Lost Voices of Mission...Fred Brown