'In other People's Skins' an interactive artwork by Terry Flaxton

I popped into Southwark Cathedral today; I was passing on my way to Borough Market when heard the bells, looked at my watch and realised I was in time for Morning Prayer. Four of us were there for the simple liturgy, I like the rhythm that such prayer brings to the day so it was a good start to the day.

I was the only one there to be able to appreciate the 'in other people's skins' art installation in the cathedral. Inspired by Leonardo Da Vinci's The Last Supper you sit a large table covered in a white cloth and surrounded by chairs and become part of the art as life size moving images of hands and arms take food, break the bread, drink the wine as the images are projected from above onto the table at which you sit. The images move from 1st century meal of bread, cheese, wine through different cultures; as you sit and interact with the virtual guests you in a sense inhabit Other People's Skins.

It was a good Pentecost moment for me as I engaged with that which transcends division and seeks to embrace - the essence of the experience as you sit and eat but also receive and pass from others is that of 'for you'.It is worth seeing if the installation happens to come to a cathedral near you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit of sally bashing....

Types of Christian Spirituality...

Lost Voices of Mission...Fred Brown