Shocking TV...?

I've watched two disturbing programmes recently TV.

'Am I normal' with Dr Tanya Bryon wasn't what I would call an easy watch; a few weeks ago she posed the question 'when people hear voices there are questions of mental health, but it is alright in church to say God told me', she went onto explore expressions of faith and to consider what some think is a fine line between religious devotion and psychiatric disorder. This week she looked at sexual deviance and finished interviewing a well spoken self professed paedophile who with eloquence argued for the legalisation of what he saw nothing wrong with - I was shocked at his rationale and argument.

Jesus Camp is a 2006 documentary directed by Rachel Grady and Heidi Ewing about a Pentecostal summer camp for children who spend their summers learning and practicing their "prophetic gifts" and being taught that they can "take back America for Christ." As I watched the learned behaviour of these kids as they did, said and acted as they had seen the adults do say and act in their church - there was something that disturbed me. Whipping kids into mass hysteria so they can confess their sins to avoid burning in hell was an interesting children's ministry technique. The predictability and familiarity shocked me (Check it out on Channel 4 OD)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit of sally bashing....

Types of Christian Spirituality...

Lost Voices of Mission...Fred Brown