"I don't know..."

What I do know is that Adrian went home with a new set of trainers and in his complete and utter confusion I think he felt listened to, loved, respected and embraced

For half an hour I watched him picking his nose, while I tried to concentrate on a pretty mad conversation - how to sound proof your house against jumbo jets. It's been a while since I met someone whose conversation was quite as disjointed as Victor's (Victor and his talking flute); but this week at FH I met Adrian who most definitely is up there with people whose conversation comes from a mind that is either not firing on all cylinders or firing on far too many cylinders.

His catch phrase which punctured the evening frequently was a slowly drawn out "I don't know..." which really you need to hear to appreciate its humour. It started before he came in, being early and being asked to come back, disgusted he could only reply "I don't know...". It carried on when I asked his name "I don't know...!" and went down hill from there! Nevertheless we were keen to try and understand something of his story; but like with Victor I think it will take sometime before we understand anything of what Adrian is about.

I listened to another conversation this week that I think in the light of the kingdom is pretty disjointed, I've heard it before and no doubt will hear it again - it goes something like this: "as Christians we waste our time with doing good things, there are loads of people doing kind and good things so lets just preach the gospel because anything else is a distraction to the work proper..."

"I don't know..!"

What I do know is that Adrian went home with a new set of trainers and in his complete and utter confusion I think he felt listened to, loved, respected and embraced; I don't know how love of neighbour can be a distraction.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit of sally bashing....

Types of Christian Spirituality...

Lost Voices of Mission...Fred Brown