"Welcome to Canada..."

As I picked my lonely bag from the carousel I thought back over an hour where I felt vulnerable, pushed to new place where I for those moments knew alienation

My bag was the last on the carousel, sadly making it's circuit in isolation. As I made the long walk to retrieve my bag it came to a shuddering halt - it had been a long flight but the last hour had been particularly interesting...!

The flight to Canada had given me plenty of time to crack on with Volf's Embrace and Exclusion; plenty time to explore the identity of 'other'; to engage with what it was to be excluded; to be alienated; what it is to be pushed to the margins; to understand where true reconciliation comes from. Eight hours later I was in an immigration side room alongside a flight from Jamaica and Pakistan finding context with what I had just read - apparently there was something wrong! I was learning what it was to be alienated.

"Welcome to Canada" flashing around the room seemed an ironic message while I watched the unfolding carnage as immigration officers hungry for lunch questioned with increasing impatience suspected illegal immigrants. I felt uneasy at the discomfort of the young mother from Pakistan struggling with two tired toddlers. I felt uncomfortable with the tired and fearful body language of those waiting in front of me their confusion unanswered. I shared a strange but tangible sense of unfounded guilt, a sense of shame for something completely unknown.

Eventually, "next ...NEXT!" indicated that I was to approach for my interview. 5 minutes later stepping over the tired toddler's I left the carnage behind; the young Pakistani mother still waiting; the vacant and empty eyes; the impatience and intolerance. Apparently I wasn't Taliban, Hezbollah or even Al Qaeda - just Salvation Army! As I picked my lonely bag from the carousel I thought back over an hour where I felt vulnerable, pushed to new place where I for those moments knew alienation - which of course I could and did walk away from.

Volf leads us to a place where we learn that to truly reconcile we truly need to understand alienation - I'm not sure that an hour in immigration qualifies me to comment but while the immigration carried out their necessary role - I thought about the concept of making space to embrace the other.
"There can be no justice without the will to embrace – to agree on justice you need to make space in yourself for the perspective of the other, and in order to make space you need to want to embrace the other". 1996:220
Volf, M. (1996). Exclusion and Embrace: A Theological Exploration of Identity, Otherness, and Reconciliation.

Comments

jsi said…
The juxtaposition of this immigration experience directly following your reading is poignant and memorable. And the ease at which you were able to cross over from alienation versus those who have been captured within its sticky grasp is striking.

When reading is compounded with legitimate, relevant examples is becomes a living breathing circumstance never to be forgotten.

Your post is striking this morning.
Anonymous said…
Gordon - I am going to America in September - Hurrah!!!
Gordon said…
Thanks Jessica - it is interesting how real life can be the biggest teacher with a little help!!
Gordon said…
Estelle - watch out they are bound to get you!! See you Monday?
Anonymous said…
are you saying I look like a terrorist! Feel more like a Holy fool!

Popular posts from this blog

A bit of sally bashing....

Types of Christian Spirituality...

Lost Voices of Mission...Fred Brown