The gift of John...

"Worship has taken on a hybrid character made up of elements of pantomime, 'last night at the proms' and Jerry Springer!"

I watched the tear slowly roll down John's face and disappear into his unkempt beard. I listened to his story as alcoholic fumes engulf me; his yellowed eyes misty as he talks about his family that he is too embarrassed to visit. "I'm not well..."

John and his mate Danny have been coming to Nunhead SA for a couple of weeks and they are bringing colour to Sunday morning worship. Worship has taken on a hybrid character made up of elements of pantomime, 'last night at the proms' and Jerry Springer! There is a feeling of not what is going to be said next - John is very funny and his enthusiastic, inappropriate wit is what every church needs.

Stood talking to John, as he spilled his tea through his shakes, gave me a snap shot of his life. "I've done good things Gordon... but I'll always be remembered for the wrong things I have done.." I hope John keeps coming, he brings something to us all at Nunhead. I hope he comes long enough to discover that we see worth in him; I hope he comes long enough to see the worth within himself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit of sally bashing....

Types of Christian Spirituality...

Lost Voices of Mission...Fred Brown