"Heaven is a hoax...?"

Steve Wiseman raises some interesting questions (here).

One of my students a couple weeks ago in a similar discussion said if "she was right about heaven .... great! If she was wrong about heaven ... great! Either way her life has been worth it!" (sounds like Pascal's Wager).

Anyway it got me to think should it all be a hoax - would it stop me doing anything that I am doing now? Would we pull the plug on all we do as a church in our community? Would my life take on another direction?

I don't think it would!
"...Jesus' desire for his followers is that they live in such a way that they bring heaven to earth..." (Rob Bell)

Rob Bell makes interesting observations in his book Velvet Elvis:
"Eternal life is... a kind of life I am living more and more now and will go on forever. I am living more and more in connection with God, and I will live connected with God forever." pp143

"...When we choose God's vision of who we are, we are living as God made us to live. We are living in the flow of how we are going to live forever. This is the life of heaven, here and now. And as we live this life, in harmony with God's intentions for us, the life of heaven becomes more and more present in our lives. Heaven comes to earth.." pp147


Bell, R (2005) Velvet Elvis. Zondervan

Comments

Gordon said…
Steve - I've enjoyed it, I was disappointed that it finished when it did. I wouldn't say it is teh best written book I have read but it was like having a good chat with a mate about issues - which I suppose was what teh style attempted to achieve. You'll probably see quotes popping up i nthe near future!

Popular posts from this blog

A bit of sally bashing....

Types of Christian Spirituality...

Lost Voices of Mission...Fred Brown