Does my face look bothered...

I've been thinking. We announced the appointment of the new General to our church and I wasn't really sure who was that bothered. It would kind of fit.

"...does my
face look bothered..?"

Several years ago General John Gowans popped in unannouced one Sunday and the vast majority of people in our congregation hadn't a clue who he was. I remember over hearing one member making him feel at home "so where do you work...?"Also memorable that morning was alcoholics Debbie and Tommy coming in for some clothes but sitting through the service next to John Gowans. After the meeting I was mopping the inevitable 'accident' from Debbie's chair while Tommy was explaining to Kate that the stab scars all over his chest and back were from a drunken rage from Debbie! (more on Tommy here). I'm not sure they were that bothered who the guy with the golden trimmings was.

Then one year General John Larrson spent Christmas Day with us. The folk that day remembered him and were bothered when he didn't come the next year. "Where's that bloke who could play the piano? How are we going to sing "I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts" without a pianist?...You should get him back!" John Larrson - the pianist ... they were bothered. John Larrson the General ... I'm afraid they simply were not bothered.

Disrespectful? I hope not, more that people are bothered about are the flows within community that comes from local church. The impact that happens at grass roots, coal face whatever you want to call it. The drip down effect has a long way to drip. Has the office of General in the past made any impact on our local ministry? Probably indirectly several times removed but by and large no - we carry on doing what we feel is right. Its at the local it happens.

Will things be different under Shaw Clifton? Time will tell.

---
pictured Catherine Tait whose catchphrase is "does my face look bothered!"

Comments

Anonymous said…
Gordon, Gordon
- how could we expect common/real/normal people to remember our generals when we have trouble remembering them ourselves? I for one have never heard of General Larrson - though I have vague memories of a General Larsson...being an exceptionally good pianist...and a humble & gracious man, a real pleasure to be around...
Graeme Smith said…
I know what you mean about John Gowans. When I was soldiering at Southwark then Commissioner (call me John) Gowans started to soldier at the corps. When they were able both John & Gisele came to the corps and sat incognito on the back row just like any other soldier.

Few of the regulars realised that we had the leader of the territory with us, and I'm convinced the corps was better off for it!
Gordon said…
the gowans were tops in being unassuming!

Popular posts from this blog

A bit of sally bashing....

Types of Christian Spirituality...

Lost Voices of Mission...Fred Brown