The Miracle of Community…

"We don’t see miracles in the Church anymore…" I heard someone say. Don’t we? I see it most Sunday’s.

I see complete opposites coming together as community in worship. I see different nationalities, ethnic groups – this Sunday over a dozen nationalities in our small community. I see different social groupings – owners of businesses in Canary Wharf through to Patrick rummaging the market rubbish. I see different intellects - from launderette assistants to university lecturers. Different ages, gender, different theologies, politics, issues, life experiences. A total mosaic of life coming together in respect. A total mosaic of life being community, church. A total mosaic of life representing a miracle. I don’t see it in the world. I see how powerful, provocative a demonstration of the Kingdom of God difference is.

I hear people sound-byte about having shared DNA – I’m not sure. Churches wanting to have a shared DNA worry me. Shared DNA has implications. How attractive or what impact 'Mutant Churches' will have is yet to be seen. 'Sameness' is dangerous!!

My point is it’s all right to be different – let’s celebrate the chaos, the mess - not be frightened of it.

It’s a miracle.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit of sally bashing....

Types of Christian Spirituality...

Lost Voices of Mission...Fred Brown