I walked straight past him...

I filled up with diesel. I went to pay at the kiosk - until then I hadn't seen him. Huddled in the corner by the door was a young guy begging. I shot a cursory glance. I hadn't seen him before his attention to detail was good from his 100% dishevelled look to a half 'Big Mac' box with the scraps of change.

Sometimes you want a night off; sometimes you feel as though someone else could get involved; sometimes you suffer a charitas fatigue - surely someone else could take up the strain - to be honest all I want to do is pay and get going. I walked straight past him...

I join the grim faced queue waiting to pay. There is a inward tugging going on. I relent. I go and get some milk to add to the bill. I'll just give him the milk but more for my good than his. As I walk out I stoop down and say "listen I don't do money but here's a pint of milk" He is really grateful and I feel ashamed.

I can't walk by again so I sit and chat with him. First I am struck by the smell of his feet! then his obvious intelligence. The grim face queue parade past back to their cars as I hear his story of depression and domestic violence. I hear his fight not to spiral back into the world of drugs he has just about escaped. I hear his sense of hopelessness. His fear. I explain who I am and ask him to come and see me at the SA. "See you tomorrow Miguel"

That was yesterday - today Miguel came by - we helped him with some food and clean clothes. We chatted some more as he left he grabbed my hand - shook it, smiled and in his slight Portuguese accent said "Thanks for not walking by..."

Funny how it didn't actually make me feel that great!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit of sally bashing....

Types of Christian Spirituality...

Lost Voices of Mission...Fred Brown