Marcus is in ...

Life couldn't get much worse for Marcus than losing the keys for the car he bought for £10 to sleep in

Marcus came in and I was pleased to see him - he was soberish.

In one hand he had a piece of paper that he was enthusiatically waving at me. A 3pm appointement for access to a hostel. He was excited.We were pleased together. Life couldn't get much worse for Marcus than losing the keys for the car he bought for £10 to sleep in . Things were looking up. A foot was on the first rung.

Then I saw the blue plastic bag in his other hand. "Marcus you're not going to be drinking that before you go are you...?"

"Only enough to stop the rattles..!"

I had a horrible feeling and I wanted to fight him for the bag. Instead I go an get a map to show him the way and tell him the bus to get.

Later that afternoon, less than an hour before his appointment I regret a few things. I regret not fighting him for his blue plastic bag. I regret not putting him in the mini-bus despite the pressures and driving him to the hostel. My feelings of regret bubble over as he stands laughing and giggling before me - outrageously drunk.

"any chance of some tins..." he giggles.

"Marcus you know what .... NO!"

He looks surprised as I carry on "Anyway what are you doing here? You need to be on the way to your interview and look at you! You don't want help at all - so why should I bother! Your life's a mess ....and it does't need to be ... it could be so much better and you know it ... but you just can't be bothered "

I get on a roll and rant on and on as he tries to get a drunken word in edgeways.

"so you're not giving me tins..."

He leaves without an answer and I left wondering if a complete change in my persona will have had any impact!

That was last week. Bernadette from street rescue rang this morning . "Thought you'd like to know that Marcus is in a hostel"

"So he made his interview?"

"He must've..."

I wonder where our journey with Marcus will go next?

----

More on Marcus - here, here and here

Comments

Andrew Bale said…
Gordon - thank you for sharing this. Your encounter with Marcus, your frustration, your doubts, your regret. In this encounter I see incarnational mission and the word of Christ taking flesh.

Thank your for sharing this.

Love and prayers Andrew

Popular posts from this blog

A bit of sally bashing....

Types of Christian Spirituality...

Lost Voices of Mission...Fred Brown