Romans 8 ... righteousness and the task of the church

Apparently if you are being interviewed by NT Wright for the ministry, he is keen to ask what four portions of scripture you would take to a desert island. Romans 8 would have to be up there for me and it is a welcome distraction for me to disappear into when it looks good to be looking in a bible!!! Every time I read it I see something different. Here is what it is doing to me at the moment.

The depth of meaning of the word righteousness fascinates me in that because of Jesus, that righteousness is met in us. As co-heirs we have an obligation to this outworking of righteousness, why? Because the future glory of God’s creation is to be met in us as we take the obligation to be signposts of New Creation seriously. It is amazing that as co-heirs God equips us for this task through making us more than conquerors and that through us God’s will for his creation will be fulfilled.

I suppose it leaves us to ask - is the fullness and depth of the concept of righteousness found in us as individuals and in our understanding of the church’s task?

I suppose it leaves us to ask - are we working in partnership with God by allowing Him to equip us for His task, or have we an understanding of the task of the church shaped by a subtle Gnosticism?

I suppose it leaves us to ask - how seriously do we understand and engage with God’s will for his creation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit of sally bashing....

Types of Christian Spirituality...

Lost Voices of Mission...Fred Brown