I’ll Fight

Spencer Burke in Making Sense of Church – draws attention to the tired military metaphor and perhaps there should be - in terms of evangelism – a transition from warrior to gardener mentality. I passed the gardening test so why URBANarmy?

Why Urban? Obvious - Tower Hamlets is undeniably urban. The poorest borough in the UK displaying all the hallmarks of fragmented urban society.

Why Army? Our denomination is that quaint little church based on pusedo-military lines. Attractive to a bygone military and uniform dominated society – The Salvation Army. But more than that where we are we're involved in a fight.

“While women weep as they do now, I’ll fight; while little children go hungry as they do now, I’ll fight; while men go to prison, in and out, in and out, as they do now, I’ll fight; while there is a drunkard left, while there is a poor lost girl on the streets, while there remains one dark soul without the light of God, I’ll fight – I’ll fight to the very end.” William Booth May 9th 1912

Mission for us is a fight. A fight for true justice; A fight for true hope; A fight for true liberation; A fight for true salvation.

Making Sense of Church - Burke, S (2003)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit of sally bashing....

Types of Christian Spirituality...

Lost Voices of Mission...Fred Brown