A tough realisation...

I came to understand something about myself this week. A tough realisation. I really am 40! No really 40!

I think I have been in denial since the event in December - but really my body has made it official - I am 40. How did I come to this realisation? My body has told me today with every single solitary grimace induced step. Why the pain?

The Dad's Race!

Eryn's sports day came to it's conclusion. The Dad's lined up. The children looked on expectantly, almost in slow motion I can see Eryn waving, cheering me on. The whistle goes and I get a flyer, I'm 18 again and the finish line fast approaches, no-one in sight. The wind in my hair !! Chariots of fire! B of Bang!! Then I see Ellie's Dad. I need more effort and then .... ping my Hamstring goes. The race is finished. It is all over.

After the race I see Scott - my althletic nemesis he beat me last year. "Missed you this year Scott" I quip! He laughs and then adds salt to my pain "I thought you must be getting older when I beat you last year for the first time in 5 years!"

Kate looks on with mild embarrassment and as I limp all the way home, full of sympathy, helpfully reminds me that I am not 18 anymore. "Gordon you are 40...! 4...0... fo-ur-t-eee!"

Today I fail at hiding the limp and so have to own up to pulling my hamstring in the Dad's race - I most definitely feel 40! Time to learn not to be so competitive - it's the taking part that counts after all!

--

BTW - did I tell you I won? Not bad for a 40 year old! ;o)

Comments

Roz Lynch said…
And you still bravely limped your way to work at club - what a trouper!
Thomas said…
Man Gordon - your my hero........lol
Phil said…
on a somewhat lesser scale, i definitely identify, as I was just the other day doing several squats with my 1 year old son on my shoulders. the next morning I woke up with incredible soreness trying to figure out why my legs were so sore. I'm only 30 for crying out loud!
Gordon said…
Phil - you are on the slippery slope!

Popular posts from this blog

A bit of sally bashing....

Types of Christian Spirituality...

Lost Voices of Mission...Fred Brown