Wise words into chaos and crisis...

Matt Clifton highlights Rowan Williams words here . The whole transcript is found here

Matt helpfully pulls out two nuggets.
  • "...actions have consequences – and that actions believed in good faith to be '‘prophetic'’ in their radicalism are likely to have costly consequences."
  • "The nature of prophetic action is that you do not have a cast-iron guarantee that you'’re right."
As a point of discussion these are wise words for a church for which diversity - because of a lack of dialogue and respect - is an issue. Roxburgh ( Roxburgh, A.J.(2005) The Sky is Falling - Leaders Lost in Transition)* refers to the importance of communitas as the "potential for people to discover one another on a very different level of identity and role". I think it is a posh anthropological word for creative tension!

I always thought the blog environment would offer the chance for 'communitas'. Floating around the blog world I'm sure it is there somewhere under the proof-texts and counter arguments!

----

*Book review to follow

Comments

I think this is what I was talking about on the whole paradigm thing on Monday.

Sometimes it's so much eaiser just to fire something off without listening truly to what the person is saying.

I've probably just done it myself!
Gordon said…
I think you are right it is a lot easier to build pedestals of opinion to sit on seemingly out of reach!! I think we are all guilty of it!!

Popular posts from this blog

A bit of sally bashing....

Types of Christian Spirituality...

Lost Voices of Mission...Fred Brown