"but I don't want that...."

"Right I'm praying for you ... Jesus give this man a pastors heart ... and quick!"

I was trying to pray with Janette a new character who came in with Hugo. Janette was very very drunk, aggressive one moment in tears the next. I was unhappy with them both because they had lied the last time they came in and worked me over with a minor hustle. I'd caught them out and they thought I wasn't going to help.

Society doesn't give second chances particularly to those that don't deserve a second chance. I'm glad that I was given a second chance when I didn't derserve it! We try to model Grace as much as we speak about it! One of the street cleaners in for his breakfast once commented after I'd told him the story of the Prodigal Son "this place is a place of forgiveness..."

Janette thinking that a second chance wasn't coming her way turned the water works on and sobbed I need you to pray for me. I with one eye opened prayed my heart out for Janette. Petitions flowed from my lips - until she started to listen to my pleas.

"but I don't want that...." alcohol fumes and bad breath fill the air as she leans drunkenly into me

I stutter before stumbling on with my prayer...

"I don't want that.... either"

I take an aside in my heavenly communication "Listen do you want me to pray or not...?"

Hugo looks on embarrassedly as Janette struggles to get out "yeah ... but none of that stuff..."

Despite the futility of arguement I say maybe a little bit to forcefully! "I'll pray what I feel I ought..."

"Well don't bother then...!"

I thought that was that until they started to leave. Janette turned and said "Right I'm praying for you ... Jesus give this man a pastors heart and quick!"

Hmmm a prophetic word???

Inner city ministry has toughened me up - but I hope my heart isn't too hard!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi Gordon

Its a tough call sometimes isn't it remaining soft yet not to be taken for a ride.

Good story.... it is always these situations that make you do a bit of a heart check.

I know I am in trouble when I no longer fell other people's pain.. then its time to do the emptying and filling up ...

God Bless

Glenda
BrownEyedGirl said…
Just read your post on prophecy...her words are not prophetic.
Her spirit was just mocking you and your pastor's heart.
How amazing is her faith, that she stopped your prayer....that she said. No, I don't want that! How many of us don't really see the prayers others pray for us or we pray for others as that powerful...that we feel threatened or even comforted by them.
Thanks for this entry. It got me thinking.
Naomi said…
ROTFL - what a comeback.

Hmmm... you've always struck me as having a pastor's (shepherd's) heart for people.

Popular posts from this blog

A bit of sally bashing....

Types of Christian Spirituality...

Lost Voices of Mission...Fred Brown