A new Woman in Patrick's Life...

I smiled as she tried to make sense of the narrative of his life that makes sense to me now because of the consistency of nonsense.

I'm not sure what I prefer, Patrick's illogical anger or Patrick's unbridled gratitude. The former has often been a result of us suggesting to Patrick that it would be good for him to have a social worker. We've seen the whole collection of anger responses from the simple stomp out, to the throwing of dinner plates. Today Patrick has been like an annoying puppy bubbling over with excitement and gratitude - it has something to do with the fact that he has a new woman in his life.

For eight years we have tried to get Patrick into the social care loop, for eight years we have bullied, cajoled, pleaded and begged with social services to get involved. For eight years we have been fobbed off with inaction and bureaucratic excuses. That was until Rachel. Together we have all worked to get Patrick the care he needs and deserves. She and her team have tried to see Patrick with no success, he wouldn't let them into his flat.

Last week Patrick was after me, he found me at the hall and laid into me because the social workers were after him. He spat the words at me while he pushed his fore-finger into my chest.

"I will not let them in ... I will not see them ... I am taking this to the United Nations!"

"OK Pat where do you want to see them then?"

A change came over him, his attitude quietened "I could see them here couldn't I?"

A quick phone call and it was sorted. Rachel and Henry were coming.

Yesterday Bramwell and I watched how Rachel won Patrick over, how she gained his confidence, gave him respect. I smiled as she tried to make sense of the narrative of his life that makes sense to me now because of the consistency of nonsense. I smiled as Patrick ask if he could see her again next week. (see Bramwell's account here)

I'm sure there will be setbacks but Patrick is in the loop, he knows it and is as relieved as us. Today he showed his gratitude!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit of sally bashing....

Types of Christian Spirituality...

Lost Voices of Mission...Fred Brown