Manchester Passion...

We sat and watched the Manchester Passion and by an large were impressed. The concept was to use the music of Manchester to communicate the Passion through cameos of Jesus' last hours. It is explained (here).
"Those who feel the breath of sadness
Sit down next to me
Those who find they‚’re touched by madness
Sit down next to me
Those who find themselves ridiculous
Sit down next to me
Love, in fear, in hate, in tears..."


The narration by Keith Allan was powerful in its simplicity. The interviews with different people as they processed a huge lit up cross through the streets were interesting to observe in how to communicate the gospel. The Nigerian pastor showed that cliches are not listened to - fortunately there were good examples of authentic communication that spoke out loud and clear.

It was good to see a SA band playing along to James' Sit Down (anyone got the parts!!?). I think it could catch on!

Here's a list of the songs used to communicate the Passion.

  • You'’re Gonna Need Someone On Your Side - Morrissey
  • Cast No Shadow - Oasis
  • Love Will Tear Us Apart -Joy Division
  • Search For A Hero - M People
  • Heaven Knows I'’m Miserable Now - The Smiths
  • Sit Down - James
  • Blue Monday - New Order
  • I Am The Resurrection - The Stone Roses
  • Angels - Robbie Williams
  • Wonderwall - Oasis
  • Sunshine After The Rain - Elkie Brooks

Some songs seemed to work better than others - Sit Down definitely worked for me and got me thinking how to use it in the future.

Comments

Rob said…
Strange - 'sit down' got me too, along with 'love will tear us apart'
Gordon said…
was that lurrrve will tear us apart! I thought that one was good too - but the manchester accent made me smile!

Popular posts from this blog

A bit of sally bashing....

Types of Christian Spirituality...

Lost Voices of Mission...Fred Brown